- School really is the best time of your life.
- If you work hard at school you’ll reap the benefits now.
- Choose your friends carefully, you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.
- Always give your best at everything you do, people are always watching.
- Always treat people the way you want to be treated and you’ll receive respect from almost everyone you meet.
- Everyone is simultaneously different and the same. Regardless of someone’s race, culture, gender and sexual orientation, everyone is equal.
This assignment calls for 90 minutes of silence. Put away your smartphones and devices and leave the presence of other people. Be still by yourself.
Then, write a two-page paper reflecting on the experience and putting it in historical perspective.
Some questions to consider:
- What does it feel like to be silent, to be without constant access to a smartphone?
- How is this part of our lifestyle now different than in premodern times?
“The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice.” – George Elliott