No, really, it is.
If you’re like me, you’re overweight. If you’re not, congratulations, you’re ahead of the game!
Me, I need to lose weight, but not as much as I used to. That’s because I found something I enjoy doing that gets me moving. Nope, it’s not P90X, it isn’t running marathons, and it isn’t joining a gym. It’s easy, not stressful (it is actually calming), and it is free. It has also lost me 15 pounds over the last 3 months. You know what it is? Walking. I go for a walk for an hour a day. I haven’t really changed my eating habits, I haven’t started taking supplements, I just walk.
For me walking does lots of things:
- Gives me alone time – I’ve gotten plenty of podcast listening in.
- It puts me first, because I’m working on my health – I’ve said before I suck at this.
- It gets me outside – sitting in front of a computer all day ain’t good.
- I get to explore my neighborhood – I also get to meet my neighbors.
- Gives me something I make time for each day – this actually help me plan the rest of my day too.
What is important is that you find something that you enjoy. I enjoy walking because of the list above and many other reasons. Go try it, maybe you’ll love it too. If you don’t, try something else.
Tip: One thing that has helped me since I’m fairly competitive is my Fitbit. I have the Zip (it was the cheapest). It gives me something to shoot for each day and week, and provides a little competition with my friends and family.
Some additional reading for you: