There is something to be said about being alone – some people crave it, others hate it. Either way, everyone needs to be okay being alone. At some point you’re going to have to deal with it – whether your driving across the country on your own, out for a hike by yourself or stuck at home on a Saturday night for whatever reason. Being alone, and being okay with it is good for you. Some say it can improve creativeness, it does enhance focus, concentration, and memory, and you don’t have to worry about what other people are thinking about and if they’re enjoying themselves. You get to do exactly what you want and how you want to do it.
Being Alone vs. Loneliness
Being alone and loneliness are two very different things.
Where loneliness is being isolated when you don’t choose to be for an extended amount of time and can be harmful. Being alone is a choice and something that can improve your life. You can be around people and still feel lonely. Loneliness is a state of mind, and you can do a lot to keep from feeling lonely even if you don’t have the opportunity to be around others.
Some things to do do combat loneliness:
- Be positive. As cliche as it sounds sometimes you need to “fake it, ’till you make it”. Things will change, but you need to be part of that change. Being negative will only make that change more difficult.
- Sometimes it is who you’re around. Look for relationships with people you respect and who respect you.
- Recognize the feeling of loneliness is telling you something needs to change
- Understand that it is temporary
Some things you can do while you’re alone.
- Got for a walk or a hike
- Go see a movie
- Go get a meal
- Learn something new
- Listen to your favorite music
- Work out
- Read a book
- Go to the park
- Go sit in the sun
- Have a picnic
Really being alone is a skill and one that can make you a happier and better person. Don’t look at it as a bad thing.
Leave a Reply